This year I wanted to get into Christmas because before, for me, Christmas was just another day to get through. So I got myself a Christmas jumper, put up something that resembles a Christmas tree, gift-wrapped some presents and made muffins! Okay, I made them on Boxing Day, but still, for me that's still part of Christmas :)
So here are some muffins for you, filled with Christmassy flavours and warmth!
WHAT DO YOU NEED?
- a handful of dates, deseeded and chopped
- a handful of dried cranberries
- a handful of almond slivers
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped in cubes
- 2 eggs
- 200g of dark brown sugar
- 3 tsp of baking powder
- 400g of flour (spelt or regular)
- 125ml of vegetable oil
- 250ml milk (I used soy milk but regular is ok too)
- 1 tsp of salt
- some oats as a topping
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO?
- Heat your oven to a medium heat (180°C) so it preheats before you place the muffins in.
- Take a bowl and beat the eggs adding the milk, oil and sugar afterwards. Whisk until everything has been dissolved.
- Then sift in the flour and baking powder. This is the point when you add all the other ingredients: the chopped dates, chopped apple, almonds and cranberries. Mix everything together until smooth.
- Add this mixture in muffin the muffin tray, filling them 2/3rds. Place some oats on top and pop it in the oven!
- Wait until they have puffed up and they should be ready. I can't remember the exact timing, but every oven differs. Just make sure they aren't goopy anymore on the inside by sliding a knife in and checking if anything is still sticking to it. If not, you're good to go :)
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you :)