Creamy Roast Tomato and Bell Pepper Soup
The city is getting colder again and Fall is now something I have to deal with daily. Yes, I have already cracked out the Uggs and yesterday I had a craving for hot soup. Which is a good thing, that way I have food for late evenings or post-training hungries ;)
So I went for a classic - creamy roast tomato soup. And this is the way I make it.
WHAT DO YOU NEED? (4 people)
- 6 large ripe tomatoes
- 3 (why not 4 ;) ) large cloves of garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 onion
- a can of diced tomatoes
- a dash of balsamic vinegar
- lots of olive oil
- 2 cubes of chicken stock
- 25cl crème fraîche
- salt & pepper
- 1 cube of sugar
- 1 tsp op smoked paprika (optional)
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO?
- Before starting on your veggies, pre-heat the oven to 200°C
- Wash and cut your tomatoes in 6 (once in half and each half in 3). Clean out the bell pepper, remove the seeds and cut into large strips. Place everything in a baking tray, season salt and olive oil. Use your hands to cover the veggies in oil and salt.
- Leave to roast for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, take out and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. and stick back into the oven for about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime chop your onions and fry them in some olive oil until soft. Once they are done, add the roast tomatoes and bell pepper (and the juices in the roasting pan) as well as the canned tomatoes, sugar and chicken stock cubes with half a litre of warm water. Also add the smoked paprika should you choose to use this. Leave to simmer for 5-10 minutes and stir regularly.
- Grab your mixer and mix until there are no bits left and add the cream. If the soups is too think you can always add some extra water. Stir and serve piping hot! :)