Christmas Granola Bits
I've never tried to make granola in my life because it always seemed like such a hassle. But nothing is less true! After coming across an article explaining the proportions of the ingredients in a batch of granola I decided to make my own. Try it out, it's really not very difficult and you can easily give it a personal touch by adding your favourite spices, seeds, nuts and dried fruits afterwards! I gave my granola bits a Christmassy touch by adding some speculoos spices (a mix of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, chili, mace, nutmeg, coriander and cardamon. I found the mix at Dille & Kamille.
WHAT DO YOU NEED?
- 3 cups of rolled oats
- 1 cup of pecan nuts (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 cup of maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil
- a pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp of the speculoos spices
- 1 egg white
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO?
- First mix all the dry ingredients together (oats, nuts, salt, seeds, spices). Once mixed, add the maple syrup. You can also use honey if you like, it will just take a little longer to mix it all in because it's more gloopy. If your coconut oil is still solid, stick it in your microwave oven on the lowest temperature for 20-30 seconds before mixing it in. Then add the egg white after making sure the coconut oil is no longer warm. Stir it all thoroughly together.
- On a baking tray, covered with baking foil, spread out the granola mix and then pop it in a pre-heated oven of 150°C for 30-40 minutes, depending on the thickness of your layer. Keep an eye on it towards the end and once it is golden brown, take it out and leave to cool.
- Break into chunks and serve with a nice cup of tea :)
Wondering about that Buzzfeed article? Find it here.