Cherry Tomato Tart with Ricotta and Caramelised Onions
The rain is still going strong here in Brussels but so am I! With some extra time and cherry tomatoes I made this sunny tart which is sure to brighten up anyone's day :)
This is another simple recipe, easy and perfect for a light weekend lunch.
WHAT DO YOU NEED?
- 200g of cherry tomatoes, everyone of them sliced in 3
- 100g of ricotta
- 1 red onion, halved and each half sliced
- some basil leaves, shredded
- some grated parmesan cheese, as much or as little as you like
- puff pastry
- some salt & pepper
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO?
- Remove the puff pastry from the fridge, roll out and prick a couple of times with a fork. Leave it to come to room temperature. Pre-heat the oven to 210°C.
- Heat some butter or olive oil on medium heat and once it is hot, add the onion. Cook and stir regularly until it starts browning a little. If you like you can deglaze the onions with a little balsamic vinegar. I also like to add just a little bit of sugar to accentuate the sweetness of the onion.
- Once the onions are done, place them in a bowl and leave to cool for five minutes. When cooled, stir in the ricotta.
- Spread the onion mixture on the pastry but leave a 2cm edge. top the ricotta mixture with a layer of tomatoes and top with the basil. Pop it all in the oven. After 25 minutes, remove the tart from the oven and grate parmesan over it. Place in the oven again for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with some olive oil drizzled over it. I love it with some lemon infused olive oil but you could also kick up the heat with some chili (olive) oil! I also topped mine with some wild asparagus. Don't forget to season!
So, what dish makes you feel like the sun is shining in your plate?