Alicia's Autumn Salad
'Tis the season of butternut squash! Yay! 'Tis also the season of field hockey and all of this has had me thinking of getting back in shape for my weekend games and watching what I eat. I always eat balanced, not too much meat, not too much grease but hey, sometimes a girl wants a burger, amirite?
But I decided to go for an Autumn salad today and wanted to share the recipe with you all. Super simple, super easy, very little time consuming. A quick, nourishing dinner!
What do you need?
- Two handfuls of cooked green lentils according to the paquet (you can also use quinoa if you prefer)
- Half a red onion, sliced
- A small butternut, deseeded and sliced in 2cm thick slices
- 4 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 red or chioggia beet quartered and sliced
- Crumbled feta
- Chopped mint, about one handful
- Chopped flat parsley, about one handful
- Tahini dressing (two tbsp of tahini, two tbsp of olive oil, the juice of one lemon, salt & pepper: stir well)
What do you need to do?
Pre-heat the oven 180°C.
In an oven dish, spread around the sliced beet and butternut and garlic cloves. Season with salt and cumin and pour over a couple of good lashes of olive oil. Use your hands to mix well and make sure everything is covered in the seasoning and oil. Pop in the oven for 40-50minutes, until the vegetables are cooked and maybe slightly caramelised.
I used this time to to cook my lentils according to the package. I got some fast-cook lentils, just as yummy and super speedy! I also took the time to chop my mint and parsley as well as the red onion.
When the veggies are done, take out of the oven and leave to cool slightly. Add the lentils into the oven dish and stir everything gently. Add the feta, the mint and the parsley.
Cover with the tahini dressing and gently stir again, making sure all the ingredients are everywhere so every spoonful you eat has everything on it!
Done! Ready to eat :)
I find this is best when still slightly warm but you can also eat it cold of course! Enjoy!
Tray from Dille & Kamille